Updated: February 23, 2024
Name: Popova Rimma Mukharbievna
Date of Birth: August 22, 1968
Current status: Defendant
Articles of Criminal Code of Russian Federation: 282.2 (1.1), 282.2 (2)
Time spent in prison: 1 day in a temporary detention facility, 60 day Under house arrest
Current restrictions: Prohibition of certain actions


Rimma Popova from Cherkessk, a woman who has a good reputation among colleagues, friends, and neighbors, was prosecuted in October 2023 for her belief in Jehovah God.

Rimma was born in August 1968 in the village of Psyzh (Karachay-Cherkessia). She was the only child in the family. Her father and mother worked as cooks, they are no longer alive. As a child, Rimma went to music school, and also did gymnastics.

After school, Rimma completed accounting courses. She worked as a cashier, then as a cash register, and later as a cook. Before the criminal prosecution, she worked as a hospital matron in a private medical clinic, but then she was placed under house arrest.

Rimma's parents were believers and from childhood instilled religious values in their daughter. Once, as an adult, Rimma watched a movie about Jesus Christ, which touched her deeply. Some time later, the woman met Jehovah's Witnesses, they introduced her to the Bible. The biblical knowledge she had received, as well as her love and appreciation for God, prompted her to embark on the Christian path in 2012.

Rimma is divorced and has two adult children, a daughter and a son who lives with her. In her free time, the woman likes to walk in nature, and she is still fond of music.

The criminal prosecution caused stress and affected the health of the believer, which causes distress in her children. They do not understand how their mother, whom everyone respects and appreciates, could be accused of extremism.

Case history

In October 2023, 55-year-old Rimma Popova from Cherkessk was charged with extremism. For talking about the Bible with a local resident, she is accused of involvement in the activities of a banned organization and participation in it. Earlier, in June of the same year, Rimma’s house was searched, after which the woman was placed in a temporary detention center for one day, then sent under house arrest for 2 months. Taking into account the state of health of the believer, the judge softened her measure of restraint to prohibit certain actions. Later it turned out that under house arrest she suffered a heart attack.